Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Personal Learning Networks


For starters, I looked up what a personal learning network is. From reading multiple posts and forums about personal learning networks, I was able to get a pretty clear definition as to what a personal learning network is. It is a global learning network where professionals can make connections and build relationships with other professionals from around the world. As I read about what a personal learning network was, another question was answered. Who might I connect with? These professionals may include teachers, professors, administrators, and/or experts. What do I discuss with the professionals? You might discuss events happening in your own life, to what is happening in your classroom, school, and/or job. You might also share your ideas and resources with other professionals that you connect with. The cool thing about PLN’S is that you can connect with whoever you want to whenever you want to. I think that the most useful way to connect on PLN’S is to connect with professionals that have similar careers as you, therefore you will probably utilize the information much more. When I first began reading about PLN’S, it seemed a bit overwhelming, but after finding some awesome posts on how to create a PLN, it seems to be more and more fascinating rather than scary.

Now that I have answered the initial question: “What is a PLN?” I can answer my question to myself.

Do I want to connect via PLN? After doing much research on the topic, I am fully onboard for PLN’S. These Personal Learning Networks just amazed me. I find it so fascinating that you can connect with people all over the world, about the same subject. This just seems like such a necessary tool to use in order to collaborate with peers and other professionals.

I think that this tool will be especially helpful to me, seeing as though I want to teach Special Education. The reason being, is because there are many, many teachers throughout schools, but there is only one special education teacher, one counselor, one principal, one vice principal, one speech teacher, etc. I think that PLN’S are especially helpful for professionals holding positions such as these. While these professionals might still be able to gather information and advice from other teachers, it would be much more helpful to collaborate with other professionals that do the same things as you and deal with the same problems on a daily basis. I would love to have that online support group, idea forum, sharing grounds readily available so that if I experience something in the “Special Education” world, I can have someone relatable to me through a PLN.

Not only will I be able to discuss issues dealing with my specific profession, I can also relate to other teachers as well. I can learn from other teachers sharing their ideas. This is especially neat because I will be learning from professionals with all different backgrounds from around the world. This will open doors for many new perspectives and shed light on what is going on in the world of Education around the world.

All in all, I think that PLN’S are an absolute necessity to anyone entering the field. It gives you as a professional, the chance to meet like-minded people who are passionate about teaching, and ultimately make you a better teacher and learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment