Saturday, June 13, 2015

Meaningful Blog Post # 2:1

For starters I would like to state that I am in no way affiliated with Tara West and/or her blog, "Little Minds at Work."

http://littlemindsatwork.blogspot.com/



I really enjoyed reading this blog post, along with so many other posts from this author, Tara West. She is very insightful and shares a lot of personal experience in the classroom as well as tips, which brings me to this blog post. In this post, Tara discussed reading in the classroom, specifically K-1st. As we all know, children love to read fiction...especially princesses, dragons, talking dogs...etc. But, we also have to encourage and introduce them to reading non-fiction, which is what Tara Wests' posts centers around. She shares her personal experience with introducing non-fiction reads to her students. The idea that she has come up with, is that non-fiction raises more questions in students than narrative/fiction would. After giving it some thought, I completely understand what she is saying. She also has ample supporting information, such as a documented conversation  between her and her students about a non-fiction. Although she does express the importance mainly of non-fiction in this particular post, she also states that narrative/fiction and non-fiction should have a fairly equal balance, which I also agree with. The next part of this post is wonderful. She introduces a completely new concept (to me at-least) which is combining narrative/fiction with non-fiction. This is a great way to not only show the students the difference, but to also get them interested in non-fiction.

As you can tell, I really enjoyed reading this post. It is very meaningful to me because it is something that I can use in the classroom. It has changed my future teaching habits because now I know how important non-fiction text is. I have also learned how to incorporate it into narrative/fiction text as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment